Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Friday, February 15, 2013

Ashes

Ashes
by Ilsa J. Bick
From the publisher:
"It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.
Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling novel about a world that could be ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation."


I really liked the first half of the book, and I felt like it could have been so much more. I almost quit several times after I got halfway through. The first part was very gripping and intense, I cared greatly for the characters and what happened to them, and then it just got disgusting.  I do have this disclaimer - I am NOT a zombie fan, so if you are you might have a completely different opinion on this book.  And zombies do seem to be the "it" thing right now.  This book was highly recommended by several reviewers, which is why I purchased it for our library. 
Usually 1st-in-a-series books leave you wanting more, this one left me wondering why I had wasted my time, and gave absolutely no closure and no answers.  Obviously setting up for a sequel, but I won't be wasting my time with that.   

Areas of concern:  This book was incredibly violent and had lots of bad language.

Suggested ages:  (all over the map, so I'll list all I could find)
Booklist:  Grades 7-10
Kirkus Reviews:  Ages 12-15
Publisher's Weekly:  Ages 14+
School Library Journal:  Grades 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment