Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Monday, June 6, 2016

The Stellow Project

The Stellow Project
by Shari Becker
From the publisher:
"When a killer storm unexpectedly hits Manhattan, seventeen-year-old Lilah Stellow’s dad insists that she and her younger sister, Flori, take refuge at their cabin in the mountains. But instead of joining them with the experimental drug that keeps Lilah alive, he disappears just as news reports name him as a prime suspect in an act of ecoterrorism.

As days pass without her medicine, Lilah finds herself teetering on the edge, caring for her sister, and growing increasingly certain they’re being watched. In her search for answers, Lilah is thrown into the center of a mystery involving an off-the-grid research facility and finds herself drawn in by Daniel, an intriguing boy who is the son of the lead scientist. As she dares to seek answers, Lilah slowly realizes that even the best intentions can go horribly wrong."

It will be hard not to juxtapose this book with the last one I read. I started off the review of The Start of Me and You by saying that there was so much I loved about that one. I can start out my review of The Stellow Project by saying that there was so much I DIDN'T love about this one. It pretty much ticked all of my pet peeve boxes on YA lit. Completely absentee parents, insta-love where she doesn't really even trust him, a best friend that drops her the minute trouble comes along, and questions, questions, questions and not one answer. And that doesn't even begin to cover my disgust at the bad language. This one is obviously the start of a series (because not one question gets answered), but I won't bother getting the second one for our library. I don't recommend this at all, although there was plenty of action, drama, and interesting situations so I can see some teenagers liking it even if I didn't.

Areas of concern:
*Around 40 uses of the *s* word and around 10 uses of the *f* word.
*Children on their own.
*Children kidnapped by evil scientists.
*Parents portrayed as evil.
*Teenagers sleeping together with very little clothing on (nothing happens - maybe some kissing?)
*There are no trustworthy adults. Some may seem trustworthy, but you never really know.

Suggested Ages:
Kirkus Reviews - Ages 12+
School Library Journal - Grades 8+

No comments:

Post a Comment