Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Monday, February 3, 2020

The Ice Garden

The Ice Garden
by Guy Jones
From the publisher:
"Jess is allergic to the sun. She lives in a world of shadows and hospitals, peeking at the other children in the playground from behind curtains. Her only friend is a boy in a coma, to whom she tells stories. One night she sneaks out to explore the empty playground she's longed to visit, where she discovers a beautiful impossibility: a magical garden wrought of ice. But Jess isn't alone in this fragile, in-between place... "

I mildly enjoyed this book - enough to read it all in one sitting. It was a little odd, but it was interesting to read about a girl who is allergic to the sun. I wish it all would have been about Jess and her challenges. It kind of lost me when the whole Ice Garden part started. Was it dream-like, was it mystical? I couldn't really tell and it was just all very peculiar. Not to mention the danger of having a 12 year old girl sneak out of her house every night. I really felt for her poor mother. I'm wondering how to sell this one to my students. That is why I wish it had just stayed realistic fiction about a girl with a challenge. Those always fly off the shelves! 

Suggested Ages:
Kirkus Reviews - Ages 8-12
School Library Journal - Grades 3-6

No comments:

Post a Comment