Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Monday, September 27, 2021

Turtle Boy

 From the publisher:

Turtle Boy
by M. Evan
Wolkenstein
"Seventh grade is not going well for Will Levine. Kids at school bully him because of his funny-looking chin. His science teacher finds out about the turtles he spent his summer collecting from the marsh behind school and orders him to release them back into the wild. And for his bar mitzvah community service project, he has to go to the hospital to visit RJ, an older boy struggling with an incurable disease. Unfortunately, Will hates hospitals.


At first, the boys don't get along, but then RJ shares his bucket list with Will. Among the things he wants to do: ride a roller coaster, go to a concert and a school dance, and swim in the ocean. To Will, happiness is hanging out in his room, alone, preferably with his turtles. But as RJ's disease worsens, Will realizes he needs to tackle the bucket list on his new friend's behalf before it's too late. It seems like an impossible mission, way outside Will's comfort zone. But as he completes each task with RJ's guidance, Will learns that life is too short to live in a shell."



I am a sucker for books that are billed as "If you liked Wonder, you will like this". And yet, they never live up to the billing. I had a really hard time with this book and had to force myself to finish it. I will say that I am very glad I did finish it, but, boy, that first 2/3rds was rough going. It is hard for me to like a book when I don't like the main character, and Will is not very likeable through a lot of the book. RJ, on the other hand, is a wonderful, loveable character. I probably would have quit reading if it wasn't for RJ. The last 1/3rd of of the book was very good and I even teared up at parts. I ended up liking the book, but I feel like it will be a hard sell for my middle schoolers. I hope I'm wrong and that they keep reading until the end like I did because it has a lot going for it and teaches some beautiful lessons. I loved the supportive adults in Will's life, and the friends who mostly stuck with him even when he wasn't being a good friend himself. I loved the immense progress Will made. So yes, read this book and stick it out because it will be worth it.


Areas of concern:
*Triggers could include a dead father and a dying friend.

Suggested Ages:
Publisher's Weekly - Ages 10+
School Library Journal - Grades 5+

No comments:

Post a Comment