Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Friday, August 9, 2013

Die For Me

From the publisher:
Die For Me
by Amy Plum
"In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again."

I thought this book started out really well, I loved the twist of "revenants" instead of the usual paranormal book. I loved the Paris setting, I can just imagine myself sitting at an outdoor cafe and reading. Ahhhhh. I appreciated that the main character was really close to her sister and grandparents and was a big reader and loved museums. The main character and her love interest take their time getting to know each other, and that was refreshing. There are obvious Twilight comparisons, but I enjoyed the unique twists. However, the middle of the book really dragged for me. It did pick up at the end, though. 

Areas of concern:  I read this on my Kindle so I couldn't mark places with inappropriate things like cussing and vulgarities. I don't remember anything too offensive, though. All in all, I enjoyed it and I think 8th graders will love it.

Suggested ages:
Booklist - Grades 8-11
Kirkus Reviews - Ages 12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment