Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Monday, August 26, 2013

The Colossus Rises

The Colossus Rises
by Peter Lerangis
From the publisher:
"Percy Jackson meets Indiana Jones in the New York Times bestselling epic adventure.  Seven Wonders: The Colossus Rises is the first book in a seven-book series. This first installment chronicles the story of Jack McKinley, an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. In a few months, he's going to die--unless he finds seven magic Loculi that have been hidden in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.  Rick Riordan calls Seven Wonders 'a high-octane mix of modern adventure and ancient secrets. The Colossus Rises is Lerangis's most gripping work yet. Young readers will love this story. I can't wait to see what's next in the Seven Wonders series.'"

This book didn't really do much for me, but I do think middle schoolers will love it. A lot of people have compared it with Percy Jackson, and since I didn't really like The Lightning Thief , I guess they probably are similar. So if you like Percy Jackson, you will probably like this. It never really grabbed me, and it took me a long time to read it.  The pacing was very slow for most of the book.  I understand that there needed to be a lot of set-up for the series, and it did pick up in the end. I appreciated the use of the ancient Wonders of the World, and it had exciting elements throughout. I enjoyed the characters of the 4 children, although I found it very annoying to read the backwards words that Cass uses. 

Areas of concern: Children are kidnapped, taken away from their families, held prisoner and operated on. I don't remember any bad language. 


Suggested ages:
Publisher's Weekly - Ages 8-12
School Library Journal - Grades 6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment