Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Kat, Incorrigible

Kat, Incorrigible
by Stephanie Burgis
From the publisher:
"Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them.

But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiancé, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the upmost.

If she can learn to control her new powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true love?
 "


I enjoyed this book, but I was at all times aware that I was reading a book by an American author. I am just a little bit of a Brit Lit snob (okay, a lot of bits), and I can easily tell the difference between a Brit writing about the Regency period and a Yank writing about the Regency period. So while I liked the book, that American author feeling was a constant annoyance. However, I think the author and I could probably be best friends (except that I didn't love her book), and I'm very jealous she is now living the dream of living in Wales. While I didn't adore the book, the plot was fun, the characters were likable, and it held my attention. Do I think it will get checked out very often in the Blevins library? Probably not. The cover is very juvenile and will not attract the students, and the historical fiction aspect will probably also deter them. But all in all, it was a pretty fun little book.

Suggested Ages:
Booklist - Grades 6-10
School Library Journal - Grades 6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment