Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Friday, February 20, 2015

Son of War, Daughter of Chaos

Son of War, Daughter of Chaos
by Janette Rallison
From the publisher:
"Aislynn is accustomed to watching for the enemy. Her parents instructed her from the time she was young to look for the signs: people with greater than normal strength, eyes that can glow green, and have the ability to jump long distances. Over the years, Aislynn has come to view her parents’ fears as quirks—things that get in the way of having a normal high school life.

When Aislynn’s mother dies under suspicious conditions, her father doubles his restrictions. But all his precautions can’t stop the boy with glowing green eyes from finding Aislynn. She realizes too late she’s been drafted into an ancient Egyptian war, whether she’s prepared or not.
"


I'm still riding the high of having just finished this book and I LOVED it! I've never read anything by this author, but I will have to start now. To me, this was everything a YA book should be - great characters, great settings, exciting storyline, sweet romance - all with the added bonus of being clean, so I have no problem with my middle schoolers reading it. The Egyptian mythology was really interesting, I don't know much about that subject so I have no clue if it was accurate or not, but it was fun to read about. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and made me think about the greater good versus those you love. How do you make that decision? Aislynn was a strong, loyal character and I loved how close she was to her family. There was a conclusion, but it left us with a lot of things un-answered so I'm hoping there will be a sequel. I think this will spread like wildfire through the school once word gets out about it. I definitely recommend this one!

Areas of concern:
Kissing

Violence, fighting, killing

No comments:

Post a Comment