Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Thursday, May 7, 2015

In The After

In The After
by Demitria Lunetta
From the publisher:
"They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

Amy is watching TV when it happens, when the world is attacked by Them. These vile creatures are rapidly devouring mankind. Most of the population is overtaken, but Amy manages to escape—and even rescue “Baby,” a toddler left behind in the chaos. Marooned in Amy’s house, the girls do everything they can to survive—and avoid Them at all costs.

After years of hiding, they are miraculously rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living in a former government research compound. While at first the colony seems like a dream with plenty of food, safety, and shelter, New Hope slowly reveals that it is far from ideal. And Amy soon realizes that unless things change, she’ll lose Baby—and much more.

Rebellious, courageous, and tender, this unforgettable duo will have you on the edge of your seat as you tear through the pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate in this thrilling debut from author Demitria Lunetta."

Let me start by saying that I don't usually like alien invasion/zombie infestation books.  I could name off several that other people loved and I did not:  The 5th WaveThe Forest of Hands and Teeth, Ashes, and so on.  So it came as a great surprise to me that I really liked this book. Maybe it was because I never felt completely hopeless.  In all of the others, I lost all hope for the puny humans and knew that however the books were resolved (I never finished the series), it would be completely unrealistic.  Okay, I realize there is nothing realistic about any alien invasion/zombie apocalypse book, but somehow In the After made it feel possible. 

The book is divided into 2, possibly 3 parts.  There is explanation of the character's life in The Before (a very short part in the beginning and then told through flashbacks and memories), then there is her survival and finding of Baby in The After, and then comes the part in New Hope.  I found all three parts fascinating.  Amy is a heroine to root for, she is smart, sassy, loyal and just keeps on ticking no matter the horrors that keep coming at her.  I loved Baby and the silent, yet completely dependant and trusting relationship they formed.  At times while reading this, I would become very aware of the noise I was making while walking through the house or doing dishes or whatever.  How hard would it be to live in complete silence?  I found it interesting how the author portrayed that through Amy and Baby's interaction with Amber. 
New Hope was intriguing, and I for one didn't see what was coming (although several other reviewers said they did).  This was an exciting, fast, and breathtaking read.  I was invested in the characters and cared about what happened to them.  I understand this is just a duology, so we should get questions answered and have resolution after just one more book.

Areas of concern:
Very few cuss words.
Attempted rape.
Disgusting and violent alien/zombie creatures.
Evil dictator.

Suggested Ages:
Booklist - Grades 7-12
Kirkus Reviews - Ages 13+

No comments:

Post a Comment