Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Monday, September 12, 2016

Going Vintage

Going Vintage
by Lindsey Leavitt
From the publisher:
"When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.
 "

A fun, albeit slightly forgettable book about one girl's decision to go offline after catching her boyfriend cheating on her with a "cyberwife". The main character, Mallory, is a normal high school girl who has kind of lost herself because of her complete involvement with her boyfriend. After discovering he was cheating on her, she decides that life was way easier for teenagers in her grandmother's time so she decides to give up all electronics and starts to live by a list her grandmother wrote back in 1962. Mallory is very close to her sister, Ginnie -  my favorite character - who is 2 years younger than her. After an argument, Ginnie takes away everything pre-1962 from Mallory's room so she can't cheat. It was pretty amusing to think about all of the things in our rooms that post-date 1962 :) . I really loved their relationship. 

“My mother makes up for all shortcomings because she birthed Ginnie. I might not have loads of friends, but Ginnie is enough. More than enough.”

One of the things I really liked about the book was the close family connections. Mallory and Ginnie are the best of friends and sisters, they have kind of weird, but united parents and a greatly loved and admired grandmother who unknowingly provides the catalyst for Mallory's decision to "go vintage". It was good to see Mallory find herself while working through her list of things to accomplish during her junior year. And I totally approved of the new boy interest. He was a great character and their interactions were always entertaining.

"“Because I like being around you.” He’s still looking out the window, and I wonder if he’s focusing on one object when he says this and what that object is. “I probably shouldn’t, but I do. And I can’t say why. I mean, I can think of a bunch of reasons why.”
Like? Like?
“But given … the obvious roadblock, I’m not sure how much we can get to know each other.” He rushes on. “As people, because you’re an interesting person and I value that in friendship. That’s seriously what I’m after, not that I’m after you and I’m not talking about, you know, ‘knowing’ each other. Like in a biblical way or anything, although you’re obviously pretty. I mean, very pretty and totally worth knowing both ways … Okay, shut it, Oliver. Shut it.”


And finally, I liked how it all came together at the end and culminated with another list - this time one that she made for herself. I don't want to spoil anything, but I appreciated where the author took the characters at the conclusion of the book. All in all, it was a fun book to read.

Areas of concern:
*I don't remember any cussing, there may have been one or two mild words.
*There was a lot of talk of making out and hooking up. Teenagers were seriously kissing in one of the characters bedrooms - nothing else happened.
*While there wasn't anything too graphic in this, I wouldn't call it a squeakly clean read. 

Suggested Ages:
Publisher's Weekly - Ages 12+
School Library Journal - Grades 7+

No comments:

Post a Comment