Middle school students have reading interests that run the gamut from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Twilight. Sometimes as a parent it is hard to know what is age appropriate for your child. Through this blog, I will try to help parents make informed decisions about what is available in our library. I am hoping that this blog will be a resource for our parents, and that we can all work together to make our students life-long readers!



Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Wild Bird

Wild Bird
by
 Wendelin Van Draanen
From the publisher:
"3:47 a.m. That's when they come for Wren Clemens. She's hustled out of her house and into a waiting car, then a plane, and then taken on a forced march into the desert. This is what happens to kids who've gone so far off the rails, their parents don't know what to do with them any more. This is wilderness therapy camp. 

The Wren who arrives in the Utah desert is angry and bitter, and blaming everyone but herself. But angry can't put up a tent. And bitter won't start a fire. Wren's going to have to admit she needs help if she's going to survive. 

In her most incisive and insightful book yet, beloved author Wendelin Van Draanen's offers a remarkable portrait of a girl who too a wrong turn and got lost--but who may be able to find her way back again in the vast, harsh desert."

This book touched me deeply, and I think it is an important book for teens to read. It realistically explores the importance of choices, big and small, and the consequences that come from them. The author somehow makes us care about a 14 year old girl who is completely out of control and very unlikable. But I started reading Wren's story and couldn't stop until it was over. It is a harsh, heartbreaking story of survival and redemption. Last year I read the book Connect the Stars, and was put off by the portrayal of the wilderness camp as a poorly run and dangerous thing for any parent to send their child to. But the program in Wild Bird is a well-run and life changing event. I have a feeling it is based on the Anasazi program in Utah. There were no punitive methods, it was all natural consequences. Wren refused to listen to how to build her shelter? She had a very wet and miserable night. She refused to read her handbook and try making a fire? She ate dry rice and beans for a couple of days. The camp had many caring adults, constant contact with base camp, counselors, mentors and great skill teaching. 8 weeks in this program would completely change anyone. Having been a counselor at a girl's camp for many years, I have seen the growth, the friendships, and the transformation that can happen in just one week. I can only imagine what could be accomplished in 8 weeks of extreme survival and near-solitude. There is something about testing yourself in nature that teaches you a lot about who you are. Wren slowly went from a hate-filled, angry, immature 14 year old, to a young woman who knew who she wanted to be, and it was very different from what she thought. Whether or not these changes can be maintained in the old environment is the question, but I thought the author dealt with that beautifully as well, and we can only hope it all works out for Wren. 
A couple of quotes that are worth sharing both come from a part towards the end of the wilderness program called "The Quest", where a camper (or inmate, as Wren likes to say) is taken away from the others and has to fend for themselves for 3 days. 
Solitude and nature.... an amazing combination.

And then suddenly, unexpectedly, tickling me from inside, I recognize a long-lost feeling. The one I looked for whenever I got stoned or drunk. The one I tried to corner by outsmarting Anabella, my parents, Meadow. The one that kept drifting past me, promising me I would find it right....over...there.
And here, now, tickling the pit of my stomach, pinging to life in my heart, the feeling has found me? I'm filthy, alone in the desert, making food in the dirt, and somehow, against everything I've said and thought and expected, it's found me?
I laugh out loud. It's so ironic.
But there it is.
Happiness.
Happiness from inside. 


And later, while gazing at the stars she thinks, 

I want to be someone who remembers the stars, even in daylight.
I want to be someone who looks up. 


Please read this book! It is not a fluffy beach read, it is by turns disturbing, heart wrenching, and beautiful. You will think about it for a long time. Thank you, Wendelin Van Draanen!

Areas of concern (all dealt with as poor choices and not glorified in any way):
*Very underage drinking and smoking pot.
*A 14 year old making out with an 18 year old.
*Shoplifting and stealing from parents.
*Damaging beloved property.
*Drug running.

Suggested Ages:
Publisher's Weekly - Ages 12+
School Library Journal - Grades 8+

No comments:

Post a Comment